This Week on the 5: Give the Gift of Filtered Excellence
If you’re looking for the perfect gift for someone who has everything, give the gift of great taste. If you’re looking for a way to really say thank you to someone without spending a lot of money, give the gift of great taste. It’s a recommendation, inspiration and a gift in one. What could be more in the holiday spirit? Here are five things from our year of Filtered Excellence that would make great gifts this year.
Want more holiday gift ideas? Check out our Five Holiday Gives for Friends with Dogs.
- The Band: Live at the Academy of Music. This beautiful 48 page book full of incredible photos and essays, also comes with 4 CDs and a DVD capturing 4 shows The Band performed at New York’s Academy of Music in the last week of December 1971. Bob Dylan joined them for the New Year’s Eve encore performance. A truly excellent gift for anyone who loves music. Order the set on Amazon.com for $62.40 or download the mp3s of the songs and a digital booklet for 4.49.
- An Astronauts Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield. If you’re not sure why you know the name Chris Hadfield, he’s the astronaut who covered David Bowie’s “Space Oddity” from space and got over 20 million YouTube views. His book shares the lessons he learned in space and how they apply to everyone on Earth. His book talks about the tenacity it takes to become an astronaut and the lessons of being prepared. It’s a great read and potentially a life changer. A great gift for history buffs, anyone interested in the space program, or just someone looking for direction. Get the hardcover on Amazon.com for 6.80 or order a kindle version for a friend for only $12.59.
- Unreleased by Patrice O’Neal. Unreleased is a compilation of unheard material that was recorded for the Mr P album. You’ll get Patrice’s raw, profane, yet it will make your sides hurt funny takes on race, relationships, and sex. And he proceeds from the Unreleased album to Patrice’s family, so you’re giving in more ways than one. Do yourself and your friends a favor and introduce them the brilliant comedy of Patrice O’Neal. Order the audio CD for 12.53 to put it under the tree, or gift the download for just $8.99.
- Never Play Music Right Next to the Zoo. A perfect gift for any child or parent. John Lithgow is known as one of our truly great performers in film, television and on stage, but he’s also a gifted children’s book author and narrator. The book is beautifully illustrated and includes CD of Lithgow performing the title song “Never Play Music Right Next To The Zoo” with a full band. The hardcover sells for just 2 or you can add on the digital version for just 1.
- The “Before” Trilogy. Richard Linklater’s beautiful trilogy started in 1995, when Jessie and Celine met on a train to Vienna in “Before Sunrise”. In 2004 Linklater continued their story with the release of Before Sunset, and this year the third of the series, Before Midnight debuted in theaters. All three films use alluring locations as a backdrop to smart dialogue, humor, heartbreak, and romance. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy offer real, true, excellent performances in these roles that they wear like second skin. All three movies make a great gift to anyone looking for something special. You can order “Before Midnight” on Amazon.com for about $25. Buy all three for $32.59 when you order “Before Midnight” along with the double DVD of “Before Sunrise and Before Sunset.