Dr. Beach, AKA Stephen P. Leatherman, has been releasing an annual list of the United States’ top beach destinations since 1991. Leatherman is professor and director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at Florida International University and he uses 50 criteria to assess the beaches — from water and sand quality to amenities, pests and views, and vistas. Coney Island JUST missed the list by about 100 or so spots.
1. Kapalua Bay Beach, Maui, Hawaii
2. Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks, North Carolina
3. Grayton Beach State Park, Florida Panhandle
4. Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
5. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
6. Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outer Banks, North Carolina
7. Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
8. Hapuna Beach State Park, Big Island, Hawaii
9. Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
10. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
Read more at time.com.