The 5: Ridiculous Movie Montages
This Week on The Five: The Most Ridiculous Movie Montages
The movie montage is a precious thing. How else is a director supposed to show a characters growth without the montage? How does a hero train and learn the things they need to in roughly 3 minutes of screen time? How can the passage of time be shown in a entertaining and musical way? The montage, that’s how. The five films below contain the most ridiculous montages you’ll see.
- Rocky 4. The entire Rocky series is full of montages, but there’s one that takes the cake and it’s from Rocky 4. Rocky just had to watch his best friend Apollo Creed beaten to death in the ring by Ivan Drago, and then he has to hear his wife tell him he can’t beat Drago if he wants to fight him out of revenge. What follows is an epic montage comprised of clips of previous Rocky film montages. This is the most meta montage you’ll ever see as Rock contemplates life, death and revenge in his sweet 80′s lambo. Watch it on YouTube or below.
- Scarface. Everything is looking up for Tony Montana! With Frank dead and out of the way, the world is Tony’s. He takes over the coke game in Florida and puts everyone on. It forever immortalizes “Push it to the Limit” and contains the foreshadowing of Manolo’s love for Tony’s sister. Ending on the down note of Michelle Pfeiffer doing bumps and chain smoking if the perfect end to a legendary montage. Watch it on YouTube or below.
- Footloose. Is Chris Penn’s character doomed to be a rhythmless down on his luck farm boy? Not if Kevin Bacon can help it. Thanks to this montage we get weeks of dance lessons condensed into the length of “Let’s Hear it for the Boy”. And by the end of it, no one will ever question Chris Penn’s dancing abilities, RIP. Watch it on YouTube or below.
- Ghostbusters. Watch as the Ghostbusters blow up in New York City as for some reason ghosts start terrorizing the town. What makes this truly ridiculous you ask? A god damn ghost blows Dan Aykroyd. In the middle of a wholesome montage. Watch it on YouTube or below.
- Over the Top. Stallone makes the list twice because nothing is as crazy as “Over the Top”. Shedding light on the super glamorous world of professional arm wrestlers, think of this as arm wrestling Rocky. If Rocky had a evil father in law and was a truck driver. Apparently the arm wrestling circuit was filled with dudes who all looked like they belonged in the WWE. Watch it on YouTube or below.
* * *
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
F'N Team America World Police:
I don't remember if Orgazmo or Baseketball had one. But, I still have that damn Orgazmo "Now You're a Man" theme song.
The scarface montage makes me really want to party this weekend... and then the footloose montage just ruined it
The montage was perfected in the movie "Bloodsport", which I believe had a chase montage, training montage, and multiple Kumite match montages.
no Wet Hot American Summer??
Sergei Eisenstein is consdered the first use the montage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Eisenstein
I hate to nitpick, but I found another error in this post. Someone typed the word "Ridiculous" where they meant to type "Awesome".
@sumwhatdim The very first montage that I was thinking of! Great catch! Sweep the leg!
@Five Years kills me. every single time. sick bastards
@Joaquin_Yadoo I liked him in Eraserhead.