The 5: Authentic Movie Drug Scenes
This Week on the 5: Realistic Drugs Scenes in Film
Drug scenes in movies can sometimes be completely unrealistic. They are exaggerated, or even just outright silly. They stick out like a sore thumb to even the most inexperienced viewers. But every now and then, drug scenes actually ring authentic. Maybe even a little too authentic. Here are our picks for five realistic drug scenes in film.
* * *
- Boogie Nights. These two ladies are wired. Rollergirl and Amber Waves are played by Heather Graham and Julianne Moore to perfection in this scene. The dialogue is breakneck because their brains are spinning like pinwheels Anyone who has been on a long difficult coke run has said “I don’t want to leave this room.” This may be the most believable blow scene ever filmed.
- Panic in Needle Park. Al Pancino plays Bobby, a drug addict hanging in Needle Park in Westside of Manhattan . It’s the 1970s and heroin addicts are growing demographic in the city Cooking dope with a bunch of junkies. Sharing needles with ravaged veins. It’s ugly, nasty and stinks like death.
- Trainspotting. Ewan McGregor’s character OD’s and yet goes to a place that feels wonderful. As his body is dragged and manhandled to the hospital, Lou Reed’s “Perfect Day” plays sweetly as a soundtrack to the warm safe world that McGregor feels he is in. As he is saved from his overdose we see Renton/McGregors face looking crestfallen to be back with the living.
- Requiem for a Dream. Ellen Burstyn is the best thing in Requiem for a Dream. Speed is a horrifying drug that rots your body and brain. Speed addiction is a living nightmare and Burstyn gives one of the greatest and most realistic performances in film history.
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Johnny Depp plays Hunter S Thompson doing his best to maintain as the acid terrors creep up on him. When the faces turn freakish and the carpet starts to swirl, just act normal and keep moving. There is no other choice.
* * *
I dont remember the name of this movie, but Philip Seymour Hoffman is a gas sniffer and there are two kids following him around trying to get airplane fuel from him. Firestarter or something like that?
Better Boogie nights drug scene is when Dirk cant get wood because of the cocaine. " I 'm the star. It's my big dick and I say when we roll"
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge.
But every now and then, drug scenes actually ring authentic. Maybe even a little too authentic. Here are our picks for five realistic drug scenes in film.
Basketball diaries - Leo D begging his mom (Lorraine Braccho) for money. Will Ferrell taking an animal tranquilizer dart in his neck in Old School. "Wait. Is this bad?"
Requiem for a Dream is fucked. i can only watch that flick like once every 5 years, and it's usaully followed by deep depression.
Vera Farmiga in Down to the Bone.... When she's scrambling around the house w the kids waiting to go out to trick-or-treat... She can't find anything so she takes the coke straw and slices it open w a razor and licks it clean ... Gritty... Totally real
Trainspotting, when spud wakes up in bed having completely shit himself. The awkward look, the panic, and the "what the fuck happened last night " feeling. Clonipins FTL.
For me its form the film "Love and a 45" ,Rory Cochrane in the Going on the green light daddy-o scene.......
Ed Wood couple scenes when martin landau playing bela is feeling sick shoots up behind curtain in doorway and jumps out all happy to give kids candy at door for halloween and the other when he calls eddie to come over middle of night saying eddie help me. he shows up and bela was going to shoot himself after od`ing
The kid rolling his brains out in 'GO' is pretty spot on for E pills in the early 00s. The Molly these kids are eating can't compare to the stamped pills back in the day. Them shits would send you to the moon.
In the movie Rated X with Charlie Sheen and Emilio. They do coke like 40 times throughout the movie. It's ridiculous but realistic at the same time
Less Than Zero when Robert Downey was sucking Dick for coke!...who hasn't been THERE before? Haha...(that one's for you Rorchach ;)
Peyote scene in Young Guns. For years, there wasn't an acid trip where me or one of my buddies didn't yell out "You see the size of that chicken?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiI8xNDH79g
The Doors. The experience was never one that I had, so I don't know how realistic it is. But I'm not Jim Morrison.
@blasterjoe love liza
@baccala They mentioned the Vincent shooting up scene on the show.
@ILoveAngelDust Does the deep depression come before or after the furious masturbating to the double ended dildo scene?
@Lroberts110 I know all us white guys look alike, but I think you're thinking of Matt Dillon.
@jerkstoresean true,been there , even better if your behind a bar with a bunch of cajuns
@OllieInChicago You're not?
@MillieHatchett When I was a kid I wrote a girl a poem. Not the best idea I've ever had. But I couldn't just quit.